The Gift of Magi Story in English | Stories for Teenagers | English Fairy Tales

The Gift of Magi Story in English | Stories for Teenagers | English Fairy Tales


once upon a time in a small town in
England there lived two lovers James and
Ella who were madly in love with each
other
when college was over James got a job as
a typist in a newspaper company with a
salary of 50 pounds a month
James was ecstatic and decided to
propose to della della I've been in love
a few since the day I saw you for the
first time and I want to be in love with
you till the end of time I I want to
grow out with you della will you marry
me Oh James I want to grow old with you
too yes I will marry you and thus James
and della were married in a small
celebration
James rented a furnished flat at 8
pounds per week and the couple were
happy and content
it seemed that their love only grew more
and more for each other things were
going well until one day when recession
struck and James's salary shrunk to 40
pounds
[Music]
my love we will get through this
do not worry of course my love till I
have you by my side there is nothing
that can worry me and so the husband and
the wife lived a tight life making just
about enough to meet ends soon it was
Christmas Eve and the streets of London
were covered in snow the shops were
decorated with lights and the houses
with Christmas trees della meanwhile
went through her purse to find how much
she had saved up one pound an 85 86 87
pence that's all oh and tomorrow is
Christmas what do I do this is not
enough now there were two possessions of
the couple in which they both took
mighty pride one was James's gold watch
that had been passed on to him by his
father which was passed on to his father
by his grandfather the other was Della's
hair
Della's beautiful brown hair reached
below her knees and made itself almost a
garment for her you've got to do what
you've got to do she stood up nervously
and quickly as a terror to escaped her
eyes della wiped the tears off her face
and putting her old brown hat on she
fluttered out the door and down the
stairs to the street a little while
later she stopped near a store this is
it excuse me will you buy my hair hmm
why don't you take your hats off and let
me have a look at it
della removed her hat and down rippled
her brown hair lifting the mass with a
practiced hand the lady gave a nod of
approval twenty-pound I will take it
[Music]
in the next couple of hours della was
out and about in the streets of London
hunting for the perfect gift for James
she found it at last
it surely has been made for James and no
one else it was a platinum fob chain
simple and chaste in design properly
proclaiming its value by substance alone
and not by merit YCJA Sorna mentation as
all good things should do it was even
worthy of the watch without thinking
anymore
she paid 21 pounds for it and hurried
home with the remaining 87 pence at 7
o'clock the coffee was made and the
frying-pan was on the back of the stove
hot and ready to cook the chops della
had curled her hair in clothesline curls
which made her look like a schoolboy at
least that's what she thought if James
doesn't kill me before he takes a second
look at me he'll say I look like a
chorus girl but what could I do
Oh what could I do with an 87 pence
suddenly she heard his steps on the
stairs and turned white for a moment
please God make him think I am still
pretty please
the door opened and James stepped in he
looked thin and very serious when he
looked at della he stood still his eyes
were fixed upon her and there was an
expression in them that she could not
read and it terrified her she at once
wriggled off the table and went for him
James darling don't look at me that way
I had my hair cut off and sold because I
couldn't have lived through Christmas
without giving you a present it'll grow
out again you know that my hair grows
awfully fast where James did not reply
say Merry Christmas James and let's be
happy you don't know what a nice what
beautiful nice gift I've got for you
you've cut off your hair yes cut it off
and sold it don't you like me just as
well anyhow I'm me without my hair
aren't I
James looked at her with a straight face
don't can't be wrong del I don't think
there's anything in the way of a haircut
or a shave or a shampoo that could make
me like you any less but if you'll
unwrap that package you may see why you
had me stunned in the first place
della tore the wrapper and when she
opened the box she let out a scream of
joy but her joy was only short-lived for
the gift was a set of combs side and
back that della had worshipped long in a
Broadway window beautiful combs pure
tortoiseshell with jeweled rims they
were expensive and her heart had simply
craved and yearned over them without the
least hope of possession and now they
were hers but the tresses that should
have adorned the coveted adornments were
gone she hugged them tight and looked up
with teary eyes and a smile my hair
grows so fast James and then della left
up like a little sink cat and cried Oh
James you have not yet seen your
beautiful present
[Music]
she held it out to him eagerly upon her
open palm isn't it a dandy James I
hunted all over town to find it you'll
have to look at the time a hundred times
day now him your watch I want to see how
it looks on it instead of obeying James
tumbled down on the couch and put his
hands under the back of his head and
smiled till let's put our Christmas
presents away and keep him awhile
they're too nice to use just at present
what do you mean
I sold the watch to get the money to buy
your combs there was a sudden silence in
the room until James spoke again and now
suppose you put the chops on della ran
towards him and hugged him tight James
hugged her back oh I love you so much
James I love you more the Magi as you
know were wise men wonderfully wise men
who brought gifts for baby Jesus they
invented the art of giving Christmas
presents being wise their gifts were no
doubt Wise Ones
but the uneventful chronicle of two
lovers in an apartment in London who
most unwisely sacrificed for each other
the greatest treasures of their house
are the wisest of all they are the Magi

SHARE

Milan Tomic

Hi. I’m Designer of Blog Magic. I’m CEO/Founder of ThemeXpose. I’m Creative Art Director, Web Designer, UI/UX Designer, Interaction Designer, Industrial Designer, Web Developer, Business Enthusiast, StartUp Enthusiast, Speaker, Writer and Photographer. Inspired to make things looks better.

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment